Saturday, June 1, 2013

Marva Wright - Heartbreakin' Woman

 This one is to celebrate the return to the blogworld, and hopefully to reasonable good health, of our dear Feilimid O'Broin. I know he loves him some Marva.

This was, I believe, Ms Marva's first album and it is my personal favorite. It is musically more sophisticated, more textured than any of the others and the song choices are perfect. Marva's voice seems to explode out of these tracks with an almost terrifying power. The arrangements and instrumentation are imaginative and effective, the musicians all much more than just competent. A look at the songwriters is an honor role of Southern Soul: Elmore James, Willie Dixon, William Bell, Booker T, Toussiant McCall, Al Jackson Jr. ..., not to mention a pair of traditional pieces and four self-penned originals!

12 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=5MHQRVF5YN

Mutha Klanger said...

welcome back to Feilimid O'Broin, hope all is well? and thanks to KC for more Marva. I like me some too. much enjoyed the previous posts (the first I'd heard).

poppachubby said...

Superb!

Feilimid O'Broin said...

You could never post enough Marva Wright for my satisfaction. I discovered her through this blog and haven't been the same sense. If nothing keeps me healthy, she will in spirit and melody. To have seen her live must have been just incredible. Thanks so very much for this one and all of the good wishes.

The health is okay. The issue's chronic and I'm used to it, just frustrated that a potentially great career doing over dubs for porn films has been ruined by not having sufficient control, breathing the right way at the wrong time as it were. Several weeks without my Sunday gospel from this blog and my mind is polluted already!!! May Marva redeem my tainted soul!!!

Feilimid O'Broin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Feilimid O'Broin said...

I have now listened to this album (no doubt, I'm showing my age) four times and can only say that no one has known a like place and taken me there since Mavis Staples did years ago. To sing so powerfully and seemingly effortlessly and yet also master blues ballads which such tenderness and emotion is art, pure and simple. Just a wonderful album and if I only heard Ain't Nothin' You Can and You Don't Miss Your Water, I could leave this life in ecstasy. So much talent in such a short recording career; truly a reflection of it's not how long you have but what you do with the time that makes the difference.

GuitarGus said...

Nice one KC !
This I like...lots !
Cheers

fcapeau said...

Marvelous Marva ! Many thanks for this beautiful post, Kc; Would it be possible to re-up the two others ("Blues Queen of N.Orleans" and "Marvelous"), Rarely listened to something so strong and loud, so beautiful.

poppachubby said...

I second the reup request. This is a great album!!

KingCake said...

They will be first in line on re-up week - everyone start looking at what you would like to see reposted

wouter said...

looking forward to hearing this!

thanks, KC!

Jazzjet said...

Thanks, KC. Great to hear.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.