When Bill Coday left us suddenly in the summer of 2008, most of America took no notice. But the Chitlin' Circuit mourned one of its favorite singers. While Bill Coday released a number of excellent records during his career, his first recordings, collected here and produced by Willie Mitchell, are the cornerstone of his legacy.
Bill Coday was born in 1942 in Coldwater, Mississippi. He began his career in music as a teenager, working mostly in Arkansas. For a while, he was in the same local band as a young Son Seals. In the 1960s, he moved to Chicago and changed his name to Chicago Willie. After Denise LaSalle heard him there in 1969, she signed Coday to her Crajon label and sent him to Memphis to record with Willie Mitchell. One of his first recordings with Mitchell, "Get Your Lies Straight" hit #14 on the national R&B charts. Coday's powerful performance of the strangely titled composition contributed by Denise LaSalle, "If You Find a Fool, Bump His Head," also charted. But none of the other Crajon singles did as well, despite their high quality.
Bill Coday recorded a few other songs for Epic in the mid-70s before essentially retiring from music for ten years. None other than Denise LaSalle again brought him back to the Southern Soul scene in 1985, where he built a strong following and released a number of LPs on Echo Records until his death. One of his last Southern hits was a tribute to the Chitlin' Circuit, "On The Chitlin' Circuit."
The Bill Coday heard on these early recordings sounds something like a cross between Wilson Pickett, O.V. Wright, and Johnnie Taylor - not a bad thing! Whether you happen to be in the mood for a rougher-voiced O.V. or a bluesier Pickett, Bill Coday might just hit the spot. Add quality material and classic Willie Mitchell arrangements/accompaniments and you have yourself some timeless music that can provide repeated enjoyment.


16 comments:
I have really fallen behind in my listening, but this looks great. New to me, so big thanks Preslives. I'll let you know what I think...
Thanks for this Preslives - I like this guy and his gritty voice ! Definitely new to me and that organic groove as support - Nice one !
Cheers
I had never heard Bill Coday before and am surprised that he didn't break through when Sam and Dave,Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, and others made it on AM. He would have easily fit in. If only as a novelty, A Woman Rules The World should have been played as a riposte to James Brown's It's A Man's World. I definitely hear Chitlin' Circuit and Juke Joint roots in his style and love the grit and raw soulfulness of his voice.
I really hate and feel somewhat guilty about discovering fine singers like Coday posthumously because I think I should have been more aware when they were alive and trying to make a living. However this blog has introduced so many late great talents to me that the pleasure of discovery and listening overrides my feeling of ignorance. Thanks for posting it. My wife's gone to bed, but the cat and I are tapping our feet madly.
Great stuff Preslives. A Woman Rules the World periodically gets into this boy's top ten.
Thank You. This is a great album. I too love to find artists like this that never made it big but were very good.
very nice! i had never even heard of bill coday.
and those studio cats certainly don't hurt...
thanks for the education and the music, Preslives!
Wow, I really enjoyed this Preslives, what a great surprise!!
I'm glad that some of y'all are enjoying it. :)
Now that's a fine soul voice! An exciting discovery for me. Thanks.
You think you know a little bit about music but then you guys find these gems I've never heard of-thanks for taking me to the woodshed and teaching me a lessson
link dead please re up thank you
can you please re-up
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=5JARZOF0NI
Hot Shagging Music..... Thanks....
Wayne
Thank you Preslives for posting this in the first place, thanks KC for re-upping it as I completly missed it the first time around, and thanks to the entire Chitlins crew for the musical education!
Thank you for re up! Merry x-mas ;-)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.