Another rerun by request
Blowing the Fuse is a killer series of compilation CDs issued by Germany's premier archivist label, Bear Family. Subtitled "R&B Classics That Rocked the Jukebox," each volume is compiled by year. 1950 was a boom year for jukeboxes across the United States. This volume, like most of the others, contains 28 affirmed classics of the early postwar years though some of these titles have been obscured a bit by history. Assembled by Dave "Daddy Cool" Booth, the sequencing of these tracks has proved invaluable in this series. Some of the more relatively obscure titles here include Calvin Boze's "Safronia B," Goree Carter's "Come On Let's Boogie," Doc Sausage's' "Rag Mop," and Jewel King's "3 x 7 = 21." But there are plenty of well-known wonders too from Percy Mayfield, Ruth Brown, Roy Milton, Wynonie Harris, Lightnin' Hopkins, Eddie Mack, Professor Longhair, Joe Liggins, T-Bone Walker and over a dozen others. Sound quality is very fine throughout. Colin Escott's detailed liner notes -- a set for each cut -- are in his usual form, authoritative and engaging, and the photographs in this handsome digipack are just beautiful.


14 comments:
Thanks KC
I've kept with this series since your first post and like Poppa C I love these R&B compilations - I don't know which year this set ends but I do have a series of Indigo CDs with 1950 & 51 as double CD sets and 1952 to 1955 as three CD box sets - I could make these available as and when this great set ends
Cheers as usual
These go all the way to 1960 and then a follow-up set takes over (Sweet Soul Music) and I have 5 or 6 of those. When we are finally through those I'll be happy to do yours as well also got The Chess Story 13 discs, Sun Blues Box 8, Specialty Story, Okeh....it is endless! Have not heard of the Indigo set, I'll have to look it up
Wow - Forget my sets looking forward to those you mention - I'll find something else to post
Cheers
Just gets better and better...thank you...time to dance.
I love these juke-box collections.
Thank you.
This series is a keeper - only problem is that the only one I neglected to 'preview' seems to be unable to preview.
If you have the time to re-post this - it would be appreciated.
On the other hand - the entire site is appreciated and I can't seem to figure out where you are able to find 1/10, let along 100% of these recordings. And it's even more amazing considering that most of these compilations aren't even up for sale in the States. Thanks for your time and effort and it's a pleasure reading your writings - enjoy the posts of and and about the music almost as much as listening to the music.
Thanks
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=0RIAENEKKW
Great time listening to the early years of this set. A real education through music. I got excited seeing the post back up even though I have it already.
Gotta agree with Chubbs - This collection is the best ! And I have plenty of others attempting to provide the same historical perspective - A time never to be repeated with such individualism !
Thanks for your generosity. It's been said before but it's amazing that these artists and their music are, how to put it, better respected in other countries. It's strange to see all these wonderful comps and re-issues of "Deep Southern Soul" (to use a term!!) being issued from Europe. Don't want to stoop to name calling but it's sad to walk into whatever you want to call a 'current cd store' and see thousands of copies on display of some singer who will come and go in an hour and their songs might have the memory of less than that - - and you try to get, looking at this set for example, some old "Big Joe Turner" recordings or perhaps, let's see, some Wynonnie Harris and you get the look like you're looking for something from outer space. I know I'm preaching, or at least writing, to the converted but the work the King & His Court do to preserve this music is appreciated...each and every time somebody looks onto this site.
Many thanks
G
Breezey said; please consider sharing 'Blowing The Fuse' and 'Sweet Soul Music' one more time!
OLA AMIGO SALUDOS DESDE COLOMBIA, TE SERIA POSIBLE VOLVER A SUBIR ESTE LINK...QUE YA NO ESTA DISPONIBLE...GRACIAS POR COMPATIR LA CULTURA DE NUESTRA AMERICA
re-up please Blowing the Fuse series thank you
Hello,
Sorry to ask that, i must not be the first i guess but i am looking to find the blowing the fuse discs from bear family and would appreciate if anyone could help me. Maybe it is not the right place to post this, if so i am sorry
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.