Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Little Willie John - Heaven Can Wait and 1966

A REPOST BY REQUEST

It was my initial intention to continue to spread the Little Willie John posts out a little bit but 2 things happened: 1-the first two posts seemed to be well received and 2-more importantly in listening to the material prior to writing I had something of a epiphany. I ended up listening to all four discs in a row and something became clear; starting from track 9 of disc two (The King Sessions) you have the material from 1959 thru 1960, what should be the 'sweet spot'. Consider that by the end of 1958 LWJ is one of the hottest singers around, but at the height of his popularity someone  (the biography does not discuss this), gets very conservative and one dimensional in the choice of material and arrangements and turns him into a one-trick pony at the very moment when a large number of new singers are coming of age. In these 2 years of poor decisions they manage to completely lose the Public Ear. It is clear from the start of this disc that someone has realized the error and made an attempt at giving him varied vehicles and is laying off the vocal gymnastics. The material is far more interesting and his voice continues to mature. This is really good stuff. Sadly, once lost, the Public Ear is difficult to recapture and meanwhile John's demons get the upper hand until he is jailed and convicted of murder in Washington (state) in 1964.



In most situations that would be the end of this story, but there is one last semi-triumphant chapter. During his time in prison awaiting Appeal, John had struck up a correspondence with producer David Axelrod. In February of 1966 Willie was released pending his Appeal trial and went straight into the studio with Axelrod for 3 sessions with the cream of L.A. studio players that combine to make his final album. John loses the Appeal, is sent back to prison and dies 2 years later under mysterious circumstances at 30 years old. The small miracle here is that Axelrod puts him into updated songs and arrangements and he responds magnificently. No doubt that under different circumstances he could have revived his career and been a major star again with proper handling. The sessions, however, are tied into silly legal disputes for 30 years before they are finally released.

So it seems to me that to illustrate my point I need to go ahead and offer the rest of LWJ now so YOU can decide if I may have gleaned something from careful listening or if you think I'm just full of crap.

There are 2 links in this post.

15 comments:

poppachubby said...

KC... You will have to work hard to top these posts. The story is fascinating, but never enough to shadow the music. Indeed that's where the real tale is told. Can't wait to dig in - with 2 albums I will need a day or so to give you my opinion. Thanks so much for shinin a light on LWJ!!

wouter said...

thanks very much for these last installments of little willie john's story, KC!

until now my impression was that only his earlier sides were great, but now i am very curious about these albums!

poppachubby said...

Well I can say with certainty that I prefer the 1966 side over the King music. "Later" is even more formulaic than its predecessor, and of course includes a string chorale - generally a stamp of commercialism in the 60s. What's most dissapointing is the clear suppression of John's soulful interpretation. I found that a lot of his style was simply missing from the songs and in its place was obviously inserted by a third party's vision.

So really what we have here is an album of John singing - quite wonderfully mind you - songs which have been placed in front of him. I suppose if the money is there or being promised... Why not?

Thank God for the 1966 album because it really showcases him as an artist. Back are the soulful interpretations which allow his voice to soar overtop the tunes. This was a singer of immense instinct, the truth in his voice is instantly tangible. This is why it's ultra easy to pick up on its absence.

I need to sit down and have a hard look at the tracking for 1966 as some tunes have alternate takes. Wonderful rework of Suffering With The Blues. I was really taken with "Just A Dream"; one of my favorite blues when done by Cleanhead Vinson.

Thanks again KC and I will surely have some more to say after some more listening.

wouter said...

i must say that both of these albums don't do anything for me. John's vocals are OK, but the songs and the arrangements (strings, novelty background vocals) make them hard to listen to for this old southern soul aficionado.

so, in this case i must conclude that you are just full of crap, KC! :-) you asked for it...

still, thanks for the chance to check 'em out!

deGallo said...

Thank you KC.

Ground Rules said...

Thanks once again for the sweet music and the education. Much appreciated.

KingCake said...

In hindsight I'd say my initial enthusiasm for disc 3 was that it was breaking the mold set in 59-60 but I am no fan of the arrangements and like many a guy in this era, the songs just aren't THAT good. As the number of singers explodes, the number of quality songs and song-writers does not keep pace. I do still like the 1966 session, however.

Preslives said...

Little Willie John is one these guys who can sing the phone book and it would sound great. You really have to try hard to mess up a Little Willie John record. In some cases here, they almost succeeded...almost. I still find these records highly listenable, especially the 1966 album.

It was strange times in the late 50s and 60s. On the one hand, the trend was, as it had become in the mid-50s to take gospel or R&B singers and try to cross over to the larger white market to cash in. On the other hand, the official suppression of Rock and Roll and "wild black" elements in mainstream pop music was in full force. So the crossover strategy had to sugar it up like never before.

Just like with much of Sam Cooke's output of the time, it is worth try to get past (i.e. stomach) the sub-par musical context in order to appreciate the precious few recordings we have of Little Willie John's golden voice.

poppachubby said...

Well said Preslives, I totally concur. KC was right, even LWJ's worst is better than most!!

Baron said...

Back later with comments on the 66 recordings - thanks KC.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I missed out on these when I had the chance... All of the links now seem to be dead. If possible a re-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Frankie Mules

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1DGEM1FHBH
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6YBZHKQSNL

Anonymous said...

First-one of the reasons I check in on this Blog is for the information and the writing - and, as a result of some of the writing have been turned onto some amazing music.
As to LWJ - I must have missed the original posts because when I just checked back - I'm out of luck in listening to them - but am looking forward to hearing some 'new' Little Willie John
Thanks
G

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the repost, KC! LWJ is yet another example of an artist I had never heard of before visiting the Crypt. I have learned about so much incredible music here and totally appreciate your efforts to spread the word.

beetee said...

just listened to 1966. the arrangements were pretty powerful. In fact too powerful to really concentrate on his great voice. but I will listen to this more and maybe get more aquainted.
Thanks KC for all your hard work

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.