Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Sweet Soul Music 1966

1966 On the mainstream pop side of things the airwaves belonged to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas and the Papas, The Righteous Brothers... Frank Sinatra was singing 'Strangers in the Night' and his daughter was walkin' in them boots. 'Cherish', 'Winchester Cathedral', 'Wild Thing', 'Hanky Panky', 'Sunshine Superman', and 'Summer In The City' were all huge multi-week number ones. Was R&B and Soul withering on the vine? Unh, no, actually, a look at this list of tracks makes it clear that Soul music was absolutely SMOKIN'!

Mowtown is in full flight but Southern Soul is pumping out many of it's greatest hits too. Joe Tex, Lee Dorsey, Wilson Pickett, James Carr, Sam & Dave, Percy Sledge, Jimmy Hughes, Carla Thomas, Robert Parker, Aaron Neville, Howard Tate, James and Bobby Purify....whew!

Dis'here one is ALL KILLER!

9 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1YNKBZGXE0

Feilimid O'Broin said...

If you had only posted a 45 with Lorraine Ellison's Stay With Me on one side and J. J. Jackson's It's Alright, it would be manna from heaven. Thanks so much to the Bear Family for preserving the best of the music. I never bought a Beatles' record until my second daughter asked for One, the collection, for Christmas, but Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave the Supremes and Temptations - that's where my money was going when I got my first job at 15 and it allowed me to buy music on 45s. And then Aretha and Otis Redding's music reached our New England airwaves and life was never the same and I'm not complaining.

Jazzjet said...

Thanks. Despite the familiarity of most of these tracks, they still come over as fresh as ever. Truly a golden age.

Anonymous said...

Was R&B and Soul Withering at this time? No, no and 1966 scorching reasons why!
Number 1 - to be polite - I remember the names of a good number of 'hits' mentioned in the first paragraph of King's article....but I purchased and continue to listen to a good number of the singles on this collection. This was a Summer when, riding with my parents cross-country, when I was able to get control of the radio was able to listen to - The Temptin' Temptations - Sam & Dave - The Wicked Pickett - Mr. Marvin Gaye - The Supremes - and, looking back knowing now what I was listening to then, the first time I heard the sounds of The Meters with Mr. Lee Dorsey.
Thanks for the music, the site and the memories and, again, All Hail To The King And His Court!

blissedout said...

My hard drives are bursting at the seams, but room will be made for this. Thanks, KC.

flatspin said...

A really fine series (and I didn't have 1966) so thanks!

GuitarGus said...

Thanks KC
Not a track that I haven't got here but it's such a good series that I look forward to each next year that you post - Back to age 12 - And what a soundtrack - More soon please !
Cheers

Pippo said...

Oh my, .... thank you Sir, really thank you.

LPR said...

I have most of this already, like most readers here.
But having them all in one place just makes you realise how much incredible music was on the radio in those golden days (and i do love much of the "pop" stuff, too).
Can't thanks you enough for this amazing series!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.