Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wilson Pickett - It's Too Late

 Pickett was born March 18, 1941 in Prattville, Alabama, and grew up singing in Baptist church choirs.

He was the fourth of 11 children and called his mother "the baddest woman in my book," telling historian Gerri Hirshey: "I get scared of her now. She used to hit me with anything, skillets, stove wood — (one time I ran away and) cried for a week. Stayed in the woods, me and my little dog." Pickett eventually left to live with his father in Detroit in 1955.

Pickett's forceful, passionate style of singing was developed in the church and on the streets of Detroit, under the influence of recording stars such as Little Richard, whom he later referred to as "the architect of rock and roll.

In 1955, Pickett became part of a gospel music group called the Violinaires. The group accompanied The Soul Stirrers, The Swan Silvertones, and The Davis Sisters on church tours across the country. After singing for four years in the locally popular gospel-harmony group, Pickett, lured by the success of other gospel singers of the day, who left gospel music in the late 1950s for the more lucrative secular music market, joined the Falcons in 1959.

The Falcons were one of the first vocal groups to bring gospel into a popular context, thus paving the way for soul music. The Falcons also featured some notable members who went on to become major solo artists; when Pickett joined the group, Eddie Floyd and Sir Mack Rice were also members of the group. Pickett's biggest success with The Falcons came in 1962, when "I Found a Love," (co-authored by Pickett and featuring his lead vocals), peaked at #6 on the R&B chart, and at #75 on the Hot 100.

Soon after recording "I Found a Love," Pickett cut his first solo recordings, including "I'm Gonna Cry," his first collaboration with Don Covay. Around this time, Pickett also recorded a demo for a song he co-wrote, called "If You Need Me." A slow-burning soul ballad featuring a spoken sermon, Pickett sent the demo to Jerry Wexler, a producer at Atlantic Records. Wexler heard the demo and gave it to one of the label's own recording artists, Solomon Burke. Burke's recording of "If You Need Me" became one of his biggest hits (#2 R&B, #37 Pop) and is now considered a soul standard, but Pickett was crushed when he discovered that Atlantic had given away his song. However, when Pickett—holding a demo tape under his arm—returned to Wexler's personal studio, Wexler asked him whether he was angry about this loss, but denied it saying "It's over". "First time I ever cried in my life". Pickett's version of the song was released on Double L Records, and was a moderate hit, peaking at #30 R&B, #64 pop.

Pickett's first big success as a solo artist came with "It's Too Late," an original composition (not to be confused with the Chuck Willis standard of the same name). Entering the charts on July 27, 1963, it eventually peaked at #7 on the R&B chart (#49 Pop). This record's success convinced Wexler and Atlantic to buy Pickett's recording contract from Double L Records in 1964.


9 comments:

poppachubby said...

Oh man KC you're killin me man!!! Pickett is my boy!!!

LPR said...

Can sing along to most of the Wicked Pickett's Atlantic stuff, but never heard this. Many thanks!

poppachubby said...

This album is perfect, I just adore it. I was surprised by how good the recording quality was. The songs are strong and stylistically Pickett is fully developed. Just love this period of soul and r&b...

GuitarGus said...

Thanks KC

Another early soul gem I did not have - And a good one too
Cheers

deGallo said...

Great post. I'm a big Pickeyy fan. Thank you.

deGallo said...

OOOPS! Pickett.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

With all of the great blogs you are posting simultaneously, I hardly sleep and my computer has nearly crashed for lack of space. So I resolved to look, but not touch, and then you post Pickett, Wolf, Waters, Clay, and Hooker, and once again I am deleting files like crazy to make room for more music. I thought I had reached Nirvana when I found Pickett's "Lay Me Like You Hate Me" on the 'Net, but this slection is superb and now I need to buy another hard drive or purchase cloud service. But I ain't complainin' despite the space strainin'. Thanks so much.

KingCake said...

perhaps the best part of having enlisted so much expert help on my jazz sites is that they are fully capable of running without me. That is a good thing because this site and possibly my Cabinet site (if I can find time) will be my main focus as this takes a lot more work with giant discographies and many hours of listening to new stuff and revisiting things I'd nearly forgotten. Very exciting but time consuming as well. I'm actually enjoying the break from my steady Jazz diet however.

I've been pretty random with this site so far but I'm about to shift to a bit more focused set of posts presenting groups of related artists and showing some developmental lines. I envision eventually resorting the whole blog to a more coherent format.

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Whether it's you or you colleagues writing, all of the sites provide great music and, equally important, wonderfully informative commentary that educates many of us who are far less knowledgeable about the music. It really doesn't get better than this so please keep on keeping on.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.