

By 1972 Hill had managed to hook on with the United Artists label for 4 years and 3 albums that came right in the dawn of the disco/funk era. The material is a cut above much of what was coming down the pipe in the time, but it is clear that the goal was to break ZZ into the mainstream. The results are a bit spotty and even a bit ridiculous in places. I would have to say it isn't my favorite period of his career, but it is worth hearing. I'm listening to the first of these as I prepare the post and I'm noticing that Hill is steadily developing into an even stronger singer with a more personal sound of his own. By the second album he is making some solid Southern Soul and the final album reflects the inescapable disco/funk influences taking over the industry at the time. Thanks to my partner in crime Dr. Hepcat and the original uploaders who made this possible to assemble.
4 comments:
The Best Thing That's Happened To Me (1972)
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/duP7VUIZ/file.html
ZZ 1974
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/kSUwCoAD/file.html
Keep On Lovin' You 1975
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/0m4k3tzV/file.html
Nice, KC. All of this music was also released on a 2-disc CD set: Z.Z. Hill: The Complete Hill/UA Recordings.
Hey, KC, thanks for all your ZZ posts... when I was a slip of a lad (lets say late '60s) we had a record store in our little town that had a Shitload (as we say in Canada) of ZZ AND JB albums!! We never heard this music on the radio, I wonder who was running the purchasing dept...!!!
Many thanks, KC!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.