Sunday, June 12, 2016

Staple Singers - Amen! & Why

The Epic releases were not particularly well represented in the previously offered Staples box so only a few of these songs have been previously offered in our Sunday services. Yet another lovely gift from the Elder Clifford.

The Staple Singers straddled the Sacred and Secular worlds like no group before or since. The enormously influential guitar stylings of Roebuck “Pops” Staples, the 'deep beyond her years' vocals of Mavis Staples, and the exalted harmonies of Pervis and Cleotha Staples created a singular sound that somehow managed to be earthy and soaring at the same time.

1965’s Amen! and 1966’s Why were their second and third albums and the first pair of studio recordings for the Epic Label. Both were produced by Nashville Legend Billy Sherrill. Includes the hit “Why (Am I Treated So Bad)".

Liner Notes by Gene Sculatti, Remastered by Mike Piacentini at Battery Studios in NewYork

CD Debuts for Both Albums



12 comments:

KingCake said...

http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/NL851PKc/file.html

pmac said...

Even an old heathen like me, enjoys Pops and Mavis and the rest of the Staples clan. many thanks to Elder Cliff and Rev Kingcake.

Lil'ol'lady said...

Oh, thank goodness for Uncle Cliff's boundless, eclectic collection! What a fantastic triple treat for this Sunday, KingCake. As always, with gratitude for you and Uncle Cliff......

Christophe said...

Thanks a lot. Great music.

Lou Cypher said...

Let me add my own thank you. I can never have too much of the Stpale Singers music!

imnokid said...

Thanx for posting this. I downloaded it twice and only get tracks 1 - 20. 21 is missing.

KingCake said...

Just checked the rar file and it is complete - actually 22 tracks
I'll check zippyshare when I have the time but not today

Feilimid O'Broin said...

Thanks for taking me there, le Roi. Any Staples or Mavis is always welcome. All of this fine music has resulted in my buying a third 3 terrabyte external hard drive. I've looked at clouds from both sides now and the notion that they might go out of business or sustain a data loss makes me all too paranoid. I can live with losing my music on my own but if it's someone else's fault, I'll rage worse than Achilles. Best to remain a confirmed Luddite. Thanks, again.

imnokd said...

Thanx KC. They never made a bad record, even in the disco years.

lucky5 said...

Much appreciated, KC!

Anonymous said...

Thank you KingCake for this one, as was already said "you can't have enough of the Staple Singers" - Pops was the most able at building the guitar sound up, seemingly holding it down until he let rip!!
Probably a strange comparison but U2 come to mind, the expectation as the piece builds is tangible. I don't have the Vanguard Newport 2 Vol to hand but if memory serves "Pray on my child" is one of the best examples of this.
Thank you for a a great resource and wonderful records.
Bottleneck

tasunkes said...

Beautiful..love the staples..thanx, man!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.