more EDDIE HINTON
Nothing useful to add to KC's previous biographical sketch. I had never heard of the dude before (although obviously I must have heard him playing on some of our favourite Southern Soul classics) but I am knocked side-ways by the surprise of discovery.
There are a couple of "best of" collections out there - pulled together, it says here, from a total of eight albums. And thus my current quest is to track them all down.
"Dear Y'All" is evidently only Volume 1 of the maybe retrospectively conceived and packaged "Songwriting Sessions". There is also Volume 2 - "Playin' Around" - out there beyond my reach somewhere.
This one here - "Beautiful Dream" - is Volume 3.


These shares are the result of serious scavenging from other original posters somewhere else - I pretend no credit for ripping 'em, just for audacious jackdaw-like thievery and a wish to share the benefit.
The Songwriting Sessions Volume 3 - "Beautiful Dream" MP3 @ 320
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9r7raymo7o8zunz/Songwriting_Sessions_Volume_3_-_Beautiful_Dream.7z
http://www.mediafire.com/download/24b0fbq4wgh5hgj/Coleman-Hinton_Project_-_Lost_And_Found_%281969-71%29.7z
5 comments:
Many thanks, Lazz!
Superb. Lazz. I was unaware of Hinton until le Roi posted him and I was hooked at first listen. I wish I had discovered him far earlier and am now playing catch-up. I really lack the acumen or musical vocabulary to describe his talent but he sends chills up my spine and makes my toes curl in ecstasy. Le Roi also posted Luther Kent a while back and he did not seem to attract many fans but I liked him, too. I may be wrong in my opinion but what impresses me about Hinton and Kent is they are neither derivative or imitative as other whites performing in African-American genres were. To me, they were authentic and demonstrated a love and mastery of the music that transcended ethnicity. Fortunately Luther didn't self-destruct and is still with us. But what do I know? After all, I'm listening to Tony Joe White's latest and think he often demonstrates similar qualities especially when I consider what Brook Benton did with his Rainy Night In Georgia. As was evident with the Muscle Shoals gang, when it came to music the South was more complex and less segregated than we would assume. It's too bad folks didn't adopt music as their religion. Thanks again and, above all, be well.
Excellent music and many thanks for posting.
Actually Feilimed it was Tony Joe White who wrote Rainy Night in Georgia.
Coleman-Hinton is an interesting sidebar - illuminated by the interview with David Hood on the Jimmy Hall "Build Your Own Fire" - strange focus indeed for EH to see the project as the next Sergeant Pepper - no surprise to me that Jerry Wexler had no interest in it - sad that it should be the ticket for entry into crazy.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.