"Curtis Ousley (February 7, 1934 – August 13, 1971), who performed under the stage name King Curtis, was an American saxophone virtuoso known
for rhythm and blues, rock and roll, soul, blues, funk and soul jazz. Variously a bandleader, band member, and session musician, he was also a
musical director and record producer. Adept at tenor, alto, and soprano saxophone, he was best known for his distinctive riffs and solos such
as on "Yakety Yak", which later became the inspiration for Boots Randolph's "Yakety Sax" and his own "Memphis Soul Stew"
Curtis was killed on August 13, 1971, when he was stabbed during an argument with a pair of drug dealers he discovered on the steps outside his Manhattan apartment. Curtis was attempting to carry an air conditioner into his apartment when Juan Montanez refused to move from the entrance. A fight ensued and Montanez stabbed Curtis. Curtis later died at Roosevelt Hospital. In March 1972, Montanez was sentenced to seven years for second-degree manslaughter, but was released in late 1977 for good behavior.(Wiki)
I'm a guitarist...but my fave instrument is the Saxophone ! Of course I love all the great jazz masters and have their albums...too many to mention. KIng Curtis became a hero of mine many moons ago ...and many important recordings were hard or impossible to get back in the day. I now have most of them. Back in 1994 a really good compilation was released covering most of his career on a small independant label 'Razor & Tie'. I tried to get a copy but it soon became unavailable. Fortunately I later picked up this copy on the net, I know not from where or whom, but a big Ta is long overdue...So here it is for you guys...It's a great mix and an even better listen. And thumbs up to Anon for a reminder that we had no King Curtis here at Chitlins. We have now ! Cheers - Gus
The above was posted back in June 2016. I have since acquired a used CD copy and decided to post a new rip with scans in flac & mp3@320. It was the second version I bought as the first CD was damaged and 2 tracks were unplayable .
I have also included a compilation of King Curtis that I made years ago from original vinyl sources from my own albums (as flac & mp3@320) 'King Curtis Collection' ...and I think it is as good (if not better !) than the one Razor & Tie released...Judge for yourselves. Some of the tracks overlap but that shouldn't spoil the listening experience - Cheers Gus



24 comments:
Nice one, Gus. Many thanks, buddy!
This one is very rare ! Thanks a lot from Paris, France.
Your site is wonderful, what a great job you're doing !
Any chance to have Bobby Blue Bland live recordings ?
Raphaël DUPRAT
Galumphing great goodness from Gus.
Ta! indeed.
Many thanks, Gus, as I ponder whether you'll still be our English comrade in the European community or an isolated islander. At any rate, I was just listening to the Aretha concert with King Curtis this week and then you posted this, so color me ecstatic this weekend.
Thank you GuitarGus!
Excellent excellent excellent, thank you!
Looks good...many thanks for posting this.
What a tragic loss King Curtis death was, a great MD and Tenor man
Wonderful music. Really miss that Razor and Tie label; they did some superb re-issues. Thanks so much,
Iggy
Thanks guys for your comments...some new blood ...and this is the blog for soulful/blues education KC with Cliff and a few minor dudes have kept this site buzzin'...with little thanks...Cheers
Many thanks Gus, i mentioned Curtis in "shares" and i really appreciate this post.
LPR
Thanks Gus, remembering King Curtis on his 84th birthday (February 7, 1934 – August 13, 1971)
Regards. Bob
King Curtis
Instant Soul Flac = https://mega.nz/#!LJVmBAba!uh1LS050n8J2xOfg46EU-EhB6PucsyqlYGE9dc7Nyeg
Instant Soul MP3@320 = https://mega.nz/#!CM8hlIhC!OdQoOhsl3Dm73aI0Vs-qhVUY2lJgvdgkUuhdIp9Z3Ao
Collection Flac = https://mega.nz/#!OVthkRTS!B4nUuxodlfJy9kr69jeqWYjTmQ8u8E8fZYnvx2d1U-Q
Collection MP3@320 = https://mega.nz/#!2JFEEQhK!8PPVvDyAvx0UVG7v6wBQpFatMm5XQmxQHiYRT95yjQo
Gus,
I started on Clarinet and Sax but picked up Guitar along the way, which became more serious and committed with children arriving some 30 years ago.....Jeez, am I really that ole....
I suck at both, despite many years of trying.
King Curtis Soundprint would have been etched into our ears, from the early 60's (Maybe before) whether through his horn, or MD work..
I'd like to put him up there with Earl Bostic from the point of view of Harmony credentials and chops, but no, not quite, I think Earl would shade him on both counts, if you believe the stories of Bostic performances at Minton's and other Jams at the height of the Bop era and the reverence respected bop musicians held Bostic in.
Anyway, I didn't mean to deliberately compare the two greats, I love them both.
Back to King Curtis...
I walked into the record shop spotted and bought "20 Golden Pieces of King Curtis & The Noble Knights" (Bulldog UK)
In 1983..
The titles not only recalled my early AM Radio but another bell rang..
I went through my late father's big band sheet music box, and dug out arrangements for "Harlem Nocturne", "Tennessee Waltz"
"Mint Julep", "Misty" washed the '55 Flood mud off, and schlepped the chords for a few others,...
My Rock and Roll guitarist bandmate/flatmate couldn't read music...
I'd have to learn to read on guitar as well (Getting there...)
Then I read about King Curtis tragic death, his role with Wexler and Aretha....
That sort of Talent will out...!
That King Curtis album was played to death at parties, with a "Mink Stole" around the stylus !
20 tracks packed with superb musicianship, arrangements, recording, session skill..
You know what I'm sayin'
Thank you.....aaaah
Thanks for your comment Jackal
I had the same 20 track vinyl too !
I plan to post more King Curtis soon...Stay tuned
What do you have to do to download this? Is there a link somewhere?
Franck
See download links posted by me on 12 August (see above) - Gus
Thank you very much for the new rip and the repost.
I have missed first post in 2016:)
Thank you for re-posting!
WOW! Now I'm positive I have died and gone to heaven. WONDERFUL King Curtis albums; a million thanks!
Many thanks for the 'Collection!'...
Thx
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.