Saturday, August 22, 2015
John Lee Hooker - Sittin' Here Thinkin'
Another 1959 session recorded outside of his Vee Jay contract that was eventually released on Muse Records in 1979. It would appear that the session was recorded under the supervision of Fred Mendelsohn of Savoy Records in New Jersey, but it was not issued by that label until more than 20 years after this release. I haven't been able to find any discussion of the circumstances surrounding the Muse issue or why Savoy left it on the shelf for 20 years prior. I don't see any evidence that Mendelsohn ever had any involvement with Muse, so my best guess would be that Muse licensed the recording when Joe Fields sought to expand the scope of his label.
Labels:
John Lee Hooker

6 comments:
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=5SLZHMGNNW
Great find!
Many thanks for the celebration of Mr. Hooker. After forty five years, he remains my favorite bluesman and his music induces a trance- like state in me whenever I listen to it. He brought out the best from Alan Wilson on "Hooker 'N" Heat' and I damn near wore the two discs out before the compact disc was released. For me, there is something really primal, without being primitive, about his music and the only blues musician I know today who is mining a similar vein of mesmerizing, hypnotic blues is Otis Taylor. Hooker's later recordings with more contemporary musicians like Van Morrison and Carlos Santana were an unexpected and true joy to hear. He still lives on my compact disc player and long may he do so.
KC, Thanks again here too. Feilimid has captured my thoughts on this Bluesman beautifully. I would never have found these recordings but for your blog. Gonna try a different unpacker for Idris Mohammed album.
KC, Thanks again here too. Feilimid has captured my thoughts on this Bluesman beautifully. I would never have found these recordings but for your blog. Gonna try a different unpacker for Idris Mohammed album.
Thank you for all the John Lee Hooker...
Wayne
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.