Sunday, October 5, 2014

What WE Call Southern Soul, parts 1 & 2

The terms Southern Soul and Northern Soul can be quite confusing, in large part because the two terms seem to mean very different things here in the U.S. than they do in the U.K.

To me Northern Soul is the slick, urban, pop crossover soul from Mowtown, Philly and New York. Southern Soul is the grittier Gospel/Blues tinged stuff out of Stax, Fame/Muscle Shoals, Hi, Malaco and the like. When I decided to make a mix of what we in the South call Southern Soul, I quickly had 44 songs totaling well over 2 hours. For listening sake I've split it into 2 parts of 22 that clock in at just a bit over an hour each.

What WE Call Southern Soul, part 2 by Kingcake on Mixcloud

9 comments:

Moe said...

Excellent collections. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sweet stuff here, You the MAN!!!!

pmac said...

Great compilations. Thoroughly enjoying the auralgasm.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff on this blog. Thank you. Any way to download these collections? Thanks again.

Preslives said...

Nice compilations, KC. I think of Northern and Southern Soul in the same way that you do. I find the UK uses of the term Northern Soul to be confusing. Is is soul from the Northern part of the United States? Soul that is popular in the Northern part of England? A type of pre-funk R&B dance groove? All of the above? None of the above? :D

poppachubby said...

Maybe Gus can lay it down for us because I watched some videos on Youtube of "Northern Soul" and it was muthafuckaz dancin around like fools, pretending they were singing the song. Guess you had to be there??

Anonymous said...

I second that other anonymous . . .thanks. Been playing them both on mixcloud. Would love to have a copy to burn as well. This blog is great.

Anonymous said...

I will second, second that, have enjoyed this at home on mixcloud, but love to have this for the car or on my walks. PRETTY PLEASE KING!!!!!
Thanks.......MIKEZEE

Anonymous said...

thanx - what happened to the link of the previous jukebox?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.