Johnson struggled with the habit until 1970 when he moved home to his mother's house in NY to get clean. By 1971 Lou was clean and looking for work, when in the lobby of the CBS building he ran into Allen Toussaint whom he knew from a 1966 session in New Orleans. Once he had confirmed that Lou had put his habit behind him, Toussaint invited Lou down to New Orleans for 30 days that resulted in this album.
I'm guessing that most of you know by now that the SeaSaint band of the time would have included The Meters, the horn section would be Gary Brown and company, the backup singers include Eldridge Holmes and Toussaint....you get it. Oddly enough, the excellent Toussaint penned ballad that is used as the album title, isn't on the album!
Anyway, once the album is finished, Marshall Seahorn deigns to release the album on one of his own labels, but instead sells it to Isaac Hayes and Dave Porter at Stax/Volt. Well okay, they had a better distribution network, but be it intentional or not there was a prejudice against non-homegrown products at Stax and the promotion/distribution teams never really got on board behind the album. The album went predictably nowhere and that was essentially the end of Johnson's solo career.

I am going to tack on here a goody from Kent records that our Shares Ninja patsoul kindly left in the shares - it contains all of Lou's earlier work with Burt Bacharach and his first New Orleans tracks with Toussaint from 1966. Together with the earlier post, this pretty much completes the Lou Johnson story.

14 comments:
With You In Mind is not quite the moody masterpiece some claim despite the overwrought magnificence of Transition. There's also a fine version of Nearer To You (called just Nearer here) which isn't quite in the same class as Betty Harris or Bettye Lavette but there's no shame in that.
Presumably the album is named after a version of Toussaint's With You In Mind - I wonder what happened to it.
Thanks KC! I consider this to be am early birthday present. Its a shame that Seasaint couldn't develop its own distribution network, given how many great albums were recorded there, only to wither away in obscurity. Ceedee- while I respect your opinion, consider the background to this - this was a New Orleans studio, utilizing the wonderful talents at its disposal (Toussaint and the Meters). Not claiming that all of its output was great, but it was ours! And like our Saints, we defend what's ours with a fierce passion. ;-)
Read the first post on Lou Johnson and, being as it's recommended, give it a listen and liked it. Was unaware of his music and apprciate hearing and reading about him. I've always been partial to "With You In Mind" and would like to have heard his version.
Speaking of Toussaint and The Meters. I know that there were a lot of vocals, how to put it, dubbed onto their instrumental recordings after the fact but always wondered if there ever has been a fairly complete listing of the recordings that The Meters did as/when they were used as (hate to put it using the term) house band for Seasaint Studios? Love to have a read of that and then try to give it/them a listen. For example, I just finished listening the other week to something by Jess Rhoden that included 3 Meters. Speaking of The Meters - a few mohths back and the good fortune to see Geo, Leo & Zig as The Meter Men in Philadelphia and, how to put it, they came to play and gave the audience more than a lesson in funk. And just saw that The Funky Meters will be in Philadelphia in a few months and am looking forward to that night of music.
The other day, after reading of and about Lou Johnson, I noticed a posting on another blog on Dionne Warwick's recordings of Bacharach's songs and was wanting to make mention of, for example, the "Message To Martha" but didn't because I didn't want to mention the source of the University of Music that taught me of and about Lou Johnson's work!
Thanks for the music - and the education
Tried to post by name but am having problems signing in so
Many Thanks -
G
Wow.
This is SO much better than earlier Lou J, I think. Way better sound and production. Matured vocal style and identity. "Transition" comes over as quite monstrously modern to my ears in so many ways - and full of the ache between sacred and secular.
"Nearer" is also a big hit in our kitchen.
Great pity this turned out to be his swan-song.
Great information - I have a question, or perhaps I'm just thinking out loud, I see the mention of "Walk On By" and then also read that it is/was on a recording done in 1966 - and then read about how the album was released with the working of Hayes & Porter. I wonder, and again I'm thinking out loud, when Ike started to think about doing covers for his recordings. I really wasn't that familiar with, for example, Jimmy Webb until I heard Isaac Hayes, on Hot Buttered Soul, cover "...Phoenix" and, for that matter, assumed that that song had been written by Glen Campbell. It would be interesting to learn or read more about Hayes' decision to cover other well-known songs. It's certainly not 'deepsouthernsoul' but, thanks to Isaac Hayes recording, I got hooked on Webb's music. For the record, Hot Buttered Soul was released in, I think, 1969. I know there were issues with Atlantic and Stax at that time but the thought came to me and I thought to bring it up in case somebody might have some information on this issue.
As always - THANKS
(having problems signing in with the comment box so I'll just say THANKS AGAIN)
G
Thank you
Searching your wonderful site for anything Toussaint and I came across these two posts, but both links are seemingly dead. Any chance you could re-post these sometime in the future? Really on a New Orleans jag these days because of you and your music!
http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/cZFWLqF0/file.html
http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/uTrqpBCh/file.html
Many, many thanks for this. I missed it the first time around and am thrilled to have a chance to listen to it.
I'm really enjoying this LP. Thanks!
wonderful album, many thanks!
Thank You very much!
THANKS SO MUCH AND ITS ZIPPYSHARE TOO JUST GREAT
Hello! Wondering if a re-up is possible? I am only familiar with a few of Lou's Bacharach-written songs and would love to explore more!
What an amazing site this is!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.