Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Lowell Fulson - Kent Recordings 1 & 2

The more knowledgeable of followers here will likely be scratching their heads about now and wondering why I would start Lowell with THESE recordings. Well the truth is - mostly by mistake - but since I have these uploaded and they are totally killer, lets just say I am using this material to whet your taste for the earlier Chess material. Also I'll let you all know now that I don't have the JSP set that covers 1946 to 1953 so that would make a killer contribution. (Hint, Hint)

I approached this four disc set with full intentions of paring it down; the only problem is that I REALLY like Lowell Fulson and there just wasn't anything I could bring myself to exclude! These first two volumes give you 51 tracks that are the Meat of his Kent output. Volumes 3 & 4 have the collectors stuff but they will follow shortly as they are too good to leave out.

" Lowell Fulson (March 31, 1921 – March 7, 1999) was a big-voiced blues guitarist and songwriter, in the West Coast blues tradition. Fulson was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He also recorded for business reasons as Lowell Fullsom and Lowell Fulsom. After T-Bone Walker, Fulson was the most important figure in West Coast blues in the 1940s and 1950s.

According to some sources, Fulson was born on a Choctaw reservation in Oklahoma. Fulson stated that he was of Cherokee ancestry through his father, but he also claimed Choctaw ancestry. At the age of eighteen, he moved to Ada, Oklahoma, and joined Alger "Texas" Alexander for a few months in 1940, but later moved to California, forming a band which soon included a young Ray Charles and tenor saxophone player, Stanley Turrentine. He recorded for Swing Time Records in the 1940s, Chess Records (on the Checker label) in the 1950s, Kent Records in the 1960s, and Rounder Records (Bullseye) in the 1970s.

Fulson was drafted in 1943, but left the United States Navy in 1945. His most memorable and influential recordings included: "Three O'Clock Blues" (now a blues standard); the Memphis Slim-penned "Everyday I Have the Blues"; "Lonesome Christmas"; "Reconsider Baby" recorded in 1960 by Elvis Presley and in 1994 by Eric Clapton for his From the Cradle album as well as by Joe Bonamassa); and "Tramp" (co-written with Jimmy McCracklin and later covered by Otis Redding with Carla Thomas, ZZ Top (on 2003's Mescalero), Alex Chilton, and Tav Falco.

"Reconsider Baby" came from a long term contract agreed with Chess Records in 1954. It was recorded in Dallas under Stan Lewis' supervision with a saxophone section that included David "Fathead" Newman on tenor and Leroy Cooper on baritone.

Jackie Brenston played in Fulson's band between 1952 and 1954. (remember Jackie from Ike Turner?)

Fulson stayed with the Checker label into 1962, when he moved to the Los Angeles-based Kent Records. 1965's "Black Nights" became his first hit in a decade, and "Tramp," did even better, restoring the guitarist to R&B stardom.

In 1993 at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland, California a show entitled "California Blues - Swingtime Tribute" opened with Fulson plus Johnny Otis, Charles Brown, Jay McShann, Jimmy Witherspoon, Jimmy McCracklin and Earl Brown. Fulson's last recording was a duet of "Every Day I Have the Blues" with Jimmy Rogers on the latter's 1999 Atlantic Records release, "The Jimmy Rogers All-Stars: Blues, Blues, Blues."

A resident of Los Angeles, Fulson died in Long Beach, California, in March 1999, at the age of 77. His companion Tina Mayfield stated that the causes of death were complications from kidney disease, diabetes, and congestive heart failure. He was the father of four and grandfather of thirteen

12 comments:

Preslives said...

In my mind, the Kent recordings are as good a place to start as any for Lowell Fulson. The Chess and Swingtime recordings do highlight his highly original guitar playing more. But Fulson's amazing vocals are his greatest asset, and you get plenty of that here.

I recall that you are also from the SF Bay Area. Right, KC? Some of my most cherished memories are dancing in Eli's Mile High Club in Oakland right next to Lowell Fulson. Those were the days!

KingCake said...

God I haven't thought of that place in ages! I loved Eli's but most of my girlfriends found the place intimidating so I did not go as often as I would have liked. I never had less than a great time there even tho I was forced to leave early a couple time and our car did get a window smashed once

poppachubby said...

Great stuff KC... I may know a little bird with that JSP set...

deGallo said...

Thank you KC. The JSP set that covers 1946 to 1953 is on Pirate Bay.

Preslives said...

Yea, I used to always worry about leaving my car out on the street near Eli's and the other West Oakland clubs at night. But it was a great scene. Eli's was run by Troyce Key, a musician himself who had strong contacts and friendships in the Oakland blues community. So everyone came there. After Troye died of Leukemia about 15 years ago, his wife tried to keep it going, but it didn't last long. Now it is some sort of heavy metal or gothic rock club, but it kept the Eli's Mile High Club name. I was in the Bay Area over the summer and drove by it.

KingCake said...

Just remembered that parking lot next door with the sign saying they were not responsible for anything that happened to your car even tho they had an attendant.

KingCake said...

Aaargh! All those wonderful pictures on the walls....sigh - can't remember his name now but the last guy I saw there was a guitar player who wore a turban - also saw Lowell there, possibly Johnny Otis too but I'm no longer sure if it was there or elsewhere

Preslives said...

A turban? That was probably either Sonny Rhodes or Guitar Shorty.

Other than Lowell Fulson, my biggest thrill was probably hearing Buddy Ace there. What a voice!

For a while in the 1980s, Frankie Lee used to sing there almost every weekend with Bobby Murray on guitar. That was always very nice.

KingCake said...

Sonny Rhodes it was indeed. Sorry I missed Buddy Ace, that must have been terrific in that room. I missed a lot then as I had a long period of time with a Chinese girlfriend and a social life mostly centered around volleyball through my 30's - music industry was what I did for a living and music is what I snuck away to when she was otherwise engaged - hard to imagine I know but I am much healthier today for my 12 years playing Open level ball. Even so once or twice a month I would go out solo and do some music venue hopping, it was pretty easy back then, all I ever had to pay for was the cabs, the rest was almost always comp-ted - working for Bill had it's privileges.

I would guess that like with Slim Stew - we were likely all in the same place at the same time more than once - I would not be in the least surprised to find I recognized either of you. Of course we were all younger and ummmm....altered more often than not.

Preslives said...

Sonny Rhodes is still active and sounding pretty good. I saw him live in L.A. last year.

GuitarGus said...

KC
I checked the web to see what was on these first 2
vols of this set and as I have the UK Ace CDs 'Black Nights' and 'The Tramp Years' which contains most of the same material I didn't d/l - I look forward to vol 3&4 - I don't have the JSP 4 disc set you mention but do have a CD from 2004 titled 'Juke Box Shuffle' a 26 track intro to LF On Proper (not available in USA) which covers 1946-53 (11 on DownTown 13
on DownBeat/SwingTime & 2 on Aladdin) If Poppa C has no luck I can post this as a taster

deGallo said...

The Pirate Bay has the 4 CD JSP Set in mp3-320 plus some other albums. I D/L'd all of them, great stuff.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.