Saturday, September 15, 2012

Walter Wolfman Washington - Sada

A man who has quietly become one of the music giants of New Orleans and one of the sweetest human beings I have ever had the pleasure to know, Mr. Walter Washington.

Walter Wolfman Washington was born in 1943 and grew up with the golden age of New Orleans R&B percolating all around him. By his late teens he was playing professionally and in his early 20's he became the guitar player in Lee Dorsey's road band while they were touring in support of Ride Your Pony and Working In A Coal Mine (it is not him on those records, that was my French Quarter Neighbor Deacon John).

Walter spent 2 years on the road with Lee, playing in halls from California to The Apollo in New York. Stints with Irma Thomas and Dave Lastie followed and an intermittent band of his own called Solar System that cut some singles on the Hep Me label, these are collected on New Orleans Rhythm and Blues, vol 2.

In the 70's Washington began his second key apprenticeship with a great New Orleans vocalist when he became Johnny Adams guitar player and musical partner. The relationship lasted for more than 20 years of Chitlin Circuit traveling and weekly local gigs at Dorothy's Medallion in Mid-City and on into Adams late career rediscovery and Rounder fame that sent them around the World and served to re-launch Walter's solo career as well.  

Perhaps it is the guitar that first made Rounder attempt to fit him into a Blues niche but it is well established that we don't segregate Blues, Soul, Jazz and Funk down here and Walter's music is well spiced with all four. I have spent countless nights with both The Roadmasters and The Chosen Few at Banks Street Bar and dba and The Maple Leaf and lesser known venues. The music is pure soulful New Orleans and Washington and bassist Jack Cruz are always mining interesting material for covers and writing new tunes all the while

Walter is typically modest about his guitar playing but the longer you listen the deeper he gets and for the last 10 years or so he has been pursuing more opportunities to play Jazz with guys like James Andrews and power trio Funk with Joe Crown and Russell Batiste. He even listens to the Pat Martino records that I gave him and slips little bits into solos here and there when you aren't expecting it then lights up that big grin. Still musically curious and growing even now in his mid 60's!

For some reason his two Virgin/PointBlank titles have both been allowed to fall out of print so I'll put them both up here in time, here is the first of them; not his best album by any means but a nice one none the less. Even with some less than exciting production Walter's wonderful warmth and honesty wins out and shines through, this is Deep Southern Soul New Orleans style.

One of the many things that Walter picked up from Johnny Adams is his love for very sharp monochrome ensembles. If you have ever wondered where one goes to get the perfect red, yellow or blue shoes to match that suit and guitar, well now you know (this picture came from a recent local article where Walter took the interviewer shopping)

16 comments:

the doc said...

Whoa!! Hold on just a minute . . . I'm in my mid 60's and I'm still curious and growing. In fact, I've never been more productive and it's all new and highly innovative!! So . . . go easy on us middle age folks please. After all, Boomers Rule!!

the doc said...

My first time listening to this guy. Nothing new or innovative, decent soul blues, a good bar band, but with mediocre horn arrangements. That said, I like him and would certainly go see him live should the occasion arise. He seems like a nice guy and I'm sure that I'd enjoy him much more at a club. I'll look forward to what you say is his best material.

GuitarGus said...

I Already have this album

Wolfman is great ! As KC stated this is not his best but it's still pretty darn good - Doc my favourite WWW album is ' Out Of The Dark' back in 1988 on Rounder - I'll post it if KC hasn't already got this planned - But this guy is funky NO and gets me grooving
Cheers aaaoooooh !

GuitarGus said...

I Should say thst when I type NO it stands for New Orleans or N'Awlins as I'm told it's said - I've collected it's music for 20 years and my fantasy is one day to visit and experience it LIVE! = Maybe KC could be my guide

the doc said...

Gus, I think that these days I'm just jaded by typical anything, whether it be music, science, writing, or speaking. In a world with some 7 billion people there's just so much of everything that one must be selective. There are literally thousands of really good people in every field all vying for our attention 24-7. Therefore, I've decided to try and pay more attention to those who are innovative and break out of the mold to do new things. It doesn't mean that I don't like Wolfman, but merely find his work to be pleasant and competent. I could always listen to him, but never find him really exciting enough to head to a private room.

GuitarGus said...

Fair enough doc - I'm satisfied with a good groove ( listening and playing ) so Wolfman does it for me but I agree and I'm sure he would say he's no innovator - But who is these days and innovators are often not appreciated when they appear even by other top musicians (Bird comes to mind )
Still I see your point life's too short to accommodate everything and our personal choices are what makes us different and therefore more interesting
Cheers

GuitarGus said...

Let's face it if we keep this discussion to the blues (in all it's forms) it's a set genre including blues,R&B,Soul,funk etc and most of the innovators are in the past - There are many new artists on the scene but I find most of those I have heard bland or too derivative - Guys like Robert Cray Keb Mo Eric Bibb keep me interested - How do others feel ?

KingCake said...

Cray blew me away when I first heard Strong Persuader but he never quite grabbed me that way again and has moved into MY 'nice' category. At least some of it with some guys ends up being regional, what suits your ear is often colored by exposure and proximity - I promise you that if you were able to see Walter on a weekly basis he would win your heart, I suspect the same is true for Cray.

So far Keb Mo and Bibb strike me as uniquely talented but I have not heard enough to make particularly educated judgements yet. If you had asked me the first couple years that I heard him, I would have gushed about Cray, but not so much now so I could easily chart the same course with these guys. I think I have actually gone the reverse direction with Walter, I was luke warm at best to begin with and over time he won me over. I would say of either Keb Mo or Bibb that if they can remain as entertaining as Taj Mahal has and can do it as long as he has then they have done well indeed.

GuitarGus said...

I admit you have a point KC - I'm a big fan but I find some of RCs albums disappointing ( and I have them all ) Strong Persuader was a definate highpoint but I would recommend Midnight Stroll and Cookin' In Mobile (Live) as further top notch releases - Maybe I should post one in Shares - Keb Mo's first 4-5 albums were all great but I think he needs to write some new classics - Taj is a legend and I haven't got one duff album by him

KingCake said...

I suppose the other guy you would throw into this conversation is Lucky Peterson - one dynamic s.o.b. live!

GuitarGus said...

Right on KC - Only a week ago my drummer told me to watch this - Lucky Peterson - Smooth Sailing
I believe this proves your point - And some exciting guitar as a plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLH-BYKfwE

KingCake said...

I hope you looked at some of the songs where Lucky grabs his guitar too, I've always thought of him a kid and kind of the second coming of JGW, but he is gray nowadays about the temples and approaching 50. GOOD LORD! Could we arrange a little 'pause' on the time rushing by please.

GuitarGus said...

I do have some of his albums (including his first) and I know how good he is on guitar ! Re age yeah I'm 58 but it's music that seems to keep me young(ish) and still makes me feel that excitement long gone from most other pastimes ( the obvious kept to the kitchen table!?!) Played a great gig the other night and that had a similar effect but gone by the following morning

GuitarGus said...

I first noticed LP on Kenny Neal's first album which got my juices going and I continued to buy Kenny's albums but he seems to have lost direction - Joe Louis Walker has a patchy career but his 'Live At Slims' Vol 1 & 2 are really worth a listen

KingCake said...

I just put up Lucky and papa James, lets continue there.

the doc said...

so the be all here is that when a new artist with a slightly different sound appears we like 'em, but quickly are bored by that sound. I get it, as I felt the same way about Strong Persuader and subsequent releases. Similarly, I loved the first one or two Keb Mo's, but found his subsequent stuff to be mediocre at best, although fully listenable. It is really all about an artist growing rather than maintaining. Compare early Beatles or Stones with later recordings and you'll hear tremendous growth. Taj Mahal did it by expanding his blues to Caribbean, Pacific, Hawaiian, Jazz tunes and so forth. The Nevilles moved into interesting niches as well, but the Radiators failed to evolve and thus stagnated. So . . . it is both our need to hear new and innovative music and the artists' ability to move to evolve.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.