Well I'm sure for most of you, your souls have been saved for today. I had my gospel stuff ready to post, but after working all night, lacked the jam to post this morning.
In any event, here's the first of many from one of my personal faves, The Staple Singers. This album actually enjoyed some commercial success outside of the gospel circuit.
That was the appeal the Staples brought to their music, it crossed so many boundaries and found fans in "unlikely" places. Pops eerie and stripped down guitar sound caught the ear of many a rocker. Singers from all genres flocked to hear Mavis belt out.
For me, their music had a real foreboding - an almost ominous vibe that was part solemn and part joy. When one considers the times, it makes sense, and although their musical themes deal with the Lord, it's certain that the political landscape of the day would influence their style.
I'm sure many of you have this little gem already, but for any newbies - get ready! The album includes live recordings which are fantastic. As I mentioned I will be bringing you guys the best from their gospel days. Enjoy!!!
Vee Jay LP 5008
1969

7 comments:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l7idacatl79w98l
The Staple Singers legacy in gospel is probably even greater than that in R&B. This is timeless and genuinely soul stirring music.
You're right preslives, and I think many people don't realise how secular sounding their take on gospel was. A shame to think that any soul or r&b fan would miss out on this stage of their career.
Great bonus tracks. Thanks.
Thanks from a gospel/staples newbie. Like many other gems found here I'm sure this will further expand my musical horizons...
Amen-sing!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
the Staples were one of Bill Graham's favorites. He had them at both Fillmores several times. this exposed them to a young white audiences who embraced them fully and "got it". I saw mavis last year in New York's central park Summerstage. quite an experience. Pops last album had that "foreboding" you spoke about.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.