Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Sensational Nightingales - On Peacock with Julius Cheeks: 1950s

A repost by request: 
The Sensational   Nightingales have been one of the top gospel quartets for more than 60 years.  There are many CDs and LPs available.  But you won’t find this one.  This collection assembles all of the Peacock 45s from their golden years from 1952-1959, during the time that Julius Cheeks and the Gales earned their reputation as the “Baddest Quartet on the Road.”    A handful of these tracks were reissued on MCA’s budget CD/LP entitled the Best of the Sensational Nightingales.   But here you have THE essential 75-minute Sensational Nightingales CD that was never released

The Sensational Nightingales were based in Philadelphia.  They recruited the legendary singer Julius “June” Cheeks from his hometown in Spartanburg, South Carolina in 1950.   By the time that the Peacock recordings began in 1952, the tenor Ernest James had joined the Nightingales from the Dixie Hummingbirds as second lead.    In many ways, Julius Cheeks was the archetypical hard gospel singer, and a huge influence on many other singers, including Wilson Pickett, David Ruffin, and Otis Clay.  Cheeks sang so hard that his voice gave out after a decade, forcing him into early retirement.    He worked himself and audiences into a complete frenzy.  The additional powerful tenor of Ernest James delivered a 1-2 punch that few other quartets could endure.   Nobody wanted to follow the Sensational Nightingales on the Program.     

After leaving the Nightingales in 1960, Cheeks continued to work and make records with the Four Knights, but began to experience the increasing vocal problems that ended his career.    Here you have the true recorded legacy of Julius Cheeks in his prime.  

The Sensational Nightingales is still one of the most powerful remaining quartets today. 

I've added 3 other collections to the original post. KC 

17 comments:

flatspin said...

I don't think you can better Julius Cheeks as a hard gospel lead. Thanks.

wouter said...

going to check this one out, partly because of the glowing review.

thank you!

Anonymous said...

Any way you can re-up this? God bless.

KingCake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lil'ol'lady said...

Oh, My, KingCake. Your gifts just keep coming! Another Sunday trying to catch air. Thank you.

Lil'ol'lady said...

Uh oh. This link takes us to the Pilgrim Jubilees on Chance, NBC and Specialty sides.....not that I'm whining or anything......

KingCake said...

http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6VYWFJGTJA

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Impeach President Palin said...

Thank you so so much.

Leif said...

Wonderful, thank you. Much appreciated.

Pete said...

Hi Kingcake,
Thanks for the ongoing gospel posts, they are filling in the gaps in my collection. I understand what you are saying with regards to the comments, you and others are putting in a lot of effort in here for little or no reward, a simple comment or a thankyou goes a long way. I feel very fortunate to have stumbled across this blog. I had a querry about the "Julius Cheeks & the Sensational Nightingales - One of These Days We'll All Be Home", I can find no reference to this as an lp or cd and wonder if it's just a private complication that somebody has put together. There is also a rare Julius Cheeks lp on HSE with the same title, of which this is not. I have around 5 tracks from the HSE lp. Regards Pete

rontokyo said...

I know I should comment more than I have -- and will do so from now on. My guess is that this blog is more appreciated than you may be aware of, whether or not visitors take the time to comment or not. Um . . . more than a guess. This is a valuable blog. Many thanks for all your efforts.

Anonymous said...

This is making my day a great one to remember. I heard bits and pieces of the Nightingales with the Rev Cheeks but to get this, the 1950s at Peacock, the singles, what can I say?

You keep great music alive for people. As one of those, many, many thanks.

The annonymous Zed.

Brush&Stick said...

Beautiful, thanks so much for re-posting!

Brush&Stick said...

Beautiful, thanks so much for re-posting!

Maltshophop said...

Thank-you ever so much for this wonderful collection KingCake. Regards Peter

pontyboy said...

Thank you, sir - you are a scholar, gentleman and a real soul man. Respect. And gratitude.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.